Ask This Old House plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey explains what may be causing a leaky toilet and possible solutions. (See below for a shopping list, tools, and steps.)
Shopping List for How to Repair a Leaking Toilet :
- Wax toilet ring
- Foam seal
- Plastic seal
- Flange spacers
- Flange insert
Toilet rings at Amazon
Tools for How to Repair a Leaking Toilet:
Steps for How to Repair a Leaking Toilet :
1. To diagnose a leak, check out a few places on the toilet.
2. First check out the water supply line. It’s possible there could be a loose
nut or a leak on the supply hose.
3. Next check the line between the tank and the bowl. Bolts may be loose,
causing the leak to appear just below the tank.
4. If the leak is most prominent on the floor around the toilet (or on the
ceiling below), check the wax ring seal between the toilet and the flange.
5. If the height of the flange is too low, you may have to get a higher wax ring
6. Alternatives to the wax ring are a foam seal or a plastic seal.
7. Other options for raising the flange: Adding flange spacers or adding a