Here's a collection of helpful videos that can help you figure out what to do about pesky noises coming from your plumbing. Sometimes, pipes hum, rattle, shake and hammer and figuring out the cause can drive you mad.
How to Fix Banging Pipes / Water Hammer
If your pipes make a banging noise when you turn off the flow of water, you have water hammer. Watch the video for a simple solution that should make it stop.
Plumbing Advice : How to Fix Whining Water Pipes
Whining water pipes can be caused by air or poor pressure. Pressure regulator valve can be one source of issues if its not working properly and you have too much pressure coming in or it's no longer functioning properly. In the video above a plumber shows us how to adjust a water pressure regulator valve. Shop for one at Amazon
How to Repair a Squealing Shower
ools List for How to Repair a Squealing Shower:
- Pocketknife, to pry off index from shower valve
- Hex-key wrench, for adjusting the valve's safety limit
Steps for How to Repair a Squealing Shower:
1. Turn off the water to the shower at the water main or well pump.
2. Pry off the index from the shower handle with a pocketknife or narrow-blade screwdriver.
3. Unscrew and remove the handle from the shower valve.
4. Use pliers to loosen the retaining nut that secures the mixing-valve cartridge.
5. Pull the cartridge straight out of the valve.
6. Remove the old rubber seats and metal springs from the valve.
7. Install new rubber seats and springs using a Phillips-head screwdriver to guide them into the openings in the valve.
8. Press a new mixing-valve cartridge into the valve, then thread on the retaining nut and tighten with pliers.
9. Push the old handle onto the new cartridge.
10. Turn on the water and test the shower.
11. Remove the handle and use a hex-key wrench to adjust the safety limit on the valve to prevent scalding.
12. If the squealing sound returns, clean or replace the showerhead or tub spout with diverter.
Why Are My Pipes Making Noise When I Turn On The Water?
How to Fix Vibration Noise on Toilet Water Valve
How to Quiet Pipes With a Water Hammer Arrestor